Image Map

DIY: Polka Dot Pants

I can’t resist polka dots. There’s just something so versatile and classic about them. From Walt Disney’s Minnie Mouse to Frank Sinatra’s “Polka Dots and Moonbeams” and it’s ensuing popularity in the 50s and 60s, polka dots have become a favorite. With that in mind, I set out to make my very own pair of polka dot pants.


Supplies:
  • Black pants
  • White fabric paint
  • Marker/chapstick
  • Ruler
  • Chalk

I bought a pair of pants that were on sale from Forever21, but any old pair will do. If they’re new, make sure to wash them at least once prior to painting. Lay your pants down flat, and starting from the bottom, use your chalk to mark dots an inch and a half apart. I decided on a diamond pattern, so the dots in the next row were in between the dots of the previous row. Continue the pattern to all the way to the top.

Next, dip the end of the marker into the fabric paint and press onto the pants (I was originally going to use the chapstick, but the circles were too big for my liking. Alternatively, you could use the tip of a pencil or a paintbrush for smaller circles). I deviated from my chalk pattern a little as I neared the top, but they turned out just fine! Make sure to dip the marker in to the fabric paint after each dot to get a more uniform look.

Let the front dry for at least an hour before chalking and painting the back and then leave them overnight to dry.


And that's it! These pants make me so happy! I've already worn them once and I'll let you know how they last through their first wash. I hope you enjoyed my DIY and make sure to check back Monday for a new post.




5 comments: